Modern Foreign Languages
At Carr Lodge Academy, we strive to deliver high quality French lessons that will inspire and ignite children’s passion for languages. We have recently adopted the Language Angels scheme of work and resources to ensure we offer a relevant, broad, vibrant and ambitious foreign languages curriculum that will inspire and excite our pupils using a wide variety of topics and themes. All pupils will be expected to achieve their full potential by encouraging high expectations and excellent standards in their foreign language learning - the ultimate aim being that pupils will feel willing and able to continue studying languages beyond key stage 2.
The four key language learning skills; listening, speaking, reading and writing will be taught and all necessary grammar will be covered in an age-appropriate way across the primary phase. This will enable pupils to use and apply their learning in a variety of contexts, laying down solid foundations for future language learning and also helping the children improve overall attainment in other subject areas. In addition, the children will be taught how to look up and research language they are unsure of and they will have a bank of reference materials to help them with their spoken and written tasks going forward. This bank of reference materials will develop into a reference library to help pupils recall and build on previous knowledge throughout their primary school language learning journey.
The intent is that all pupils will develop a genuine interest and positive curiosity about foreign languages, finding them enjoyable and stimulating. Learning a second language will also offer pupils the opportunity to explore relationships between language and identity, develop a deeper understanding of other cultures and the world around them with a better awareness of self, others and cultural differences. The intention is that they will be working towards becoming life-long language learners.
Through the Modern Foreign Language curriculum, we aim to:
- Provide ample opportunities for pupils to practice speaking in French
- Enable pupils to progressively acquire, use and apply a growing bank of vocabulary
- Provide pupils with the knowledge of key grammar concepts
- Giving key stage 2 access to the Language Angels interactive games to encourage home learning
- Encourage children to explore language patterns
- Allow opportunities for children to read short stories in French
- Enable children to move from writing simple words and phrases to full sentences in French
Year 3 and 4 will be exploring 5 key topics throughout the year:
- J’apprends la francaise (I learn French)
- Les Animaux (Animals)
- Les instruments (instruments)
- Petit Chaperon Rouge (Little Red Riding Hood)
- Je peux (I can)
In year 5 and 6 we will look at:
- Je me presente (All about me)
- Au café (At the restaurant/café)
- La Maison Tudor (The Tudors)
- As-tu un animal? (Do you have a pet?)
- Boucle d’or et les trois ours (Goldilocks and the three bears)